This article is from the source 'bbc' and was first published or seen on . The next check for changes will be

You can find the current article at its original source at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44149281

The article has changed 6 times. There is an RSS feed of changes available.

Version 2 Version 3
Vape pen explosion pierces Florida man's cranium killing him Vape pen explosion pierces Florida man's cranium killing him
(about 3 hours later)
A US man died when a vape pen blew up and projected fragments into his skull, a post-mortem examination has found.A US man died when a vape pen blew up and projected fragments into his skull, a post-mortem examination has found.
Tallmadge D'Elia also suffered burns over 80% of his body in a fire on 5 May caused by the exploding e-cigarette, according to forensic officials.Tallmadge D'Elia also suffered burns over 80% of his body in a fire on 5 May caused by the exploding e-cigarette, according to forensic officials.
The 38-year-old's body was discovered by firefighters in the fiery bedroom of his family home in the beach resort of St Petersburg, Florida. The 38-year-old's body was discovered by firefighters in the burning bedroom of his family home in the beach resort of St Petersburg, Florida.
It is believed to be the first US death from a vape pen explosion.It is believed to be the first US death from a vape pen explosion.
The television producer's death has been ruled an accident.The television producer's death has been ruled an accident.
The Pinellas-Pasco Medical Examiner said the official cause was "projectile wound of head", reports the Tampa Bay Times. The Pinellas-Pasco Medical Examiner said the official cause of death was "projectile wound of head", reports the Tampa Bay Times.
Two pieces of the vape pen were found in his cranium, according to the autopsy.Two pieces of the vape pen were found in his cranium, according to the autopsy.
The report said emergency crews encountered "extensive" fire damage to the bedroom where the body was found, but minimal smoke.The report said emergency crews encountered "extensive" fire damage to the bedroom where the body was found, but minimal smoke.
The electronic cigarette was manufactured by Smok-E Mountain, said the medical examiner.The electronic cigarette was manufactured by Smok-E Mountain, said the medical examiner.
Christopher D'Elia, the dead man's father, told ABC Action News: "This is a terrible shock. Christopher D'Elia, the dead man's father, told ABC Action News it was a "terrible shock".
"Anybody who has lost a son doesn't want anybody else to lose a child to something like this." "Anybody who has lost a son doesn't want anybody else to lose a child to something like this," he said.
According to the US Fire Administration, between 2009-16 there were 195 separate incidents of explosions and fires involving an e-cigarette, resulting in 133 acute injuries, 38 of them severe.According to the US Fire Administration, between 2009-16 there were 195 separate incidents of explosions and fires involving an e-cigarette, resulting in 133 acute injuries, 38 of them severe.
In 2015, an e-cigarette exploded in the face of a 29-year-old Colorado man, breaking his neck and shattering his teeth.In 2015, an e-cigarette exploded in the face of a 29-year-old Colorado man, breaking his neck and shattering his teeth.
A fire in January this year at Denver International Airport was blamed on a vape pen's lithium ion battery.A fire in January this year at Denver International Airport was blamed on a vape pen's lithium ion battery.