This article is from the source 'guardian' and was first published or seen on . The next check for changes will be

You can find the current article at its original source at https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/11/syria-troop-withdrawal-under-way-says-us-led-coalition

The article has changed 6 times. There is an RSS feed of changes available.

Version 0 Version 1
Syria troop withdrawal under way, says US-led coalition Syria troop withdrawal under way, says US-led coalition
(35 minutes later)
The US-led military coalition in Syria has begun pulling out troops, a spokesman said on Friday, without elaborating on locations or timetables. The US-led military coalition in Syria has begun withdrawing troops, a spokesman has said, without elaborating on locations or timetables.
Colonel Sean Ryan told AFP in a statement: “Combined Joint Task Force – Operation Inherent Resolve has begun the process of our deliberate withdrawal from Syria. Col Sean Ryan told Agence France-Presse in a statement: “Combined Joint Task Force – Operation Inherent Resolve has begun the process of our deliberate withdrawal from Syria.
“Out of concern for operational security, we will not discuss specific timelines, locations or troops movements.”“Out of concern for operational security, we will not discuss specific timelines, locations or troops movements.”
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported that the coalition had started scaling down its presence at Rmeilan airfield in the north-eastern province of Hasakah. The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported that the coalition had started reducing its presence at Rmelan airfield in the north-eastern province of Hasakah.
Rami Abdel Rahman, the head of the Britain-based monitoring organisation, said: “On Thursday, some American forces withdrew from the Rmeilan military base in Hasakah province.” Rami Abdel Rahman, the head of the UK-based monitoring organisation, said some US forces withdrew from the Rmelan military base on Thursday.
On 19 December, Donald Trump said he had ordered the withdrawal of all US forces in Syria, which are believed to consist of about 2,000 troops. Last month, Donald Trump said he had ordered the withdrawal of all US forces from Syria, where there are believed to be about American 2,000 troops.
It is the first such pullout of US forces since the president’s announcement of a full troop withdrawal from Syria last month, according to Rahman. Friday’s announcement signalled the first such withdrawal since the president’s announcement, Rahman said.
Trump’s announcement, which followed a phone call with the Turkish president, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, was criticised even within his own camp and is already having significant repercussions on the almost eight-year conflict.Trump’s announcement, which followed a phone call with the Turkish president, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, was criticised even within his own camp and is already having significant repercussions on the almost eight-year conflict.
SyriaSyria
US military
US foreign policy
Middle East and North AfricaMiddle East and North Africa
newsnews
Share on FacebookShare on Facebook
Share on TwitterShare on Twitter
Share via EmailShare via Email
Share on LinkedInShare on LinkedIn
Share on PinterestShare on Pinterest
Share on Google+Share on Google+
Share on WhatsAppShare on WhatsApp
Share on MessengerShare on Messenger
Reuse this contentReuse this content