US Democrats Castro and Gabbard make bids for presidency
Version 0 of 4.
Two senior Democratic politicians have announced that they will challenge for the US presidency in 2020.
Julian Castro launched his campaign on Saturday, and Tulsi Gabbard has said she will make a formal announcement within a week.
Mr Castro is expected to be the only Latino in the race, and Ms Gabbard is the first Hindu member of Congress.
Both enter what could be a crowded field of Democrats vying to challenge President Donald Trump.
Until now only former congressman John Delaney has formally launched a campaign, more than a year ago.
However, Senator Elizabeth Warren announced last month she was setting up an exploratory committee to consider a run.
Mr Castro, aged 44 and long seen as a rising star in the party, served as housing secretary under President Barack Obama and was on the list of Hillary Clinton's potential running mates for the 2016 election.
Having a Mexican grandmother, he has used his background to criticise Mr Trump's policies on border security.
But correspondents say he does not have widespread name recognition and may struggle to make an impression in a crowded field.
He made his announcement in his home town of San Antonio, Texas, where he was mayor from 2009 to 2014.
His launch comes a day after news emerged that Hawaii Congresswoman Ms Gabbard would also announce a bid.
In an interview due to air on CNN on Saturday evening, she says: "There are a lot of challenges that are facing the American people that I'm concerned about and that I want to help solve."
A native of American Samoa and an Iraq veteran, Ms Gabbard, 37, is seen as an outspoken figure on the left of the party.
In 2017 she caused controversy by announcing that she had met Syrian President Bashar al-Assad during a trip to the country.
At the time she said she was ready to meet anyone to help end the conflict in Syria, but opponents described the meeting as shameful.