This article is from the source 'bbc' and was first published or seen on . The next check for changes will be

You can find the current article at its original source at https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-56669508

The article has changed 12 times. There is an RSS feed of changes available.

Version 1 Version 2
Belfast: Police attacked as trouble flares Belfast: Police attacked as trouble flares
(32 minutes later)
A bus was set alight at the Lanark Way and Shankill Road junctionA bus was set alight at the Lanark Way and Shankill Road junction
Police have come under attack and a bus has been hijacked and set on fire in another night of disorder in Belfast.Police have come under attack and a bus has been hijacked and set on fire in another night of disorder in Belfast.
On Wednesday, police confirmed a bus was set alight at the junction of Lanark Way and the Shankill Road in the west of the city. Police confirmed a vehicle was set alight at the junction of Lanark Way and the Shankill Road in the west of the city on Wednesday.
The disruption is taking place close to where a number of loyalist protesters had earlier gathered.The disruption is taking place close to where a number of loyalist protesters had earlier gathered.
Police also confirmed they had received a report of an assault on a press photographer.Police also confirmed they had received a report of an assault on a press photographer.
The public has been urged to avoid the area and police have appealed for anyone with influence in the area to use it "to help restore calm".
Drone footage shows the bus fire in the Shankill areaDrone footage shows the bus fire in the Shankill area
It happened on Cupar Way at 18:05 BST.
A number of tyres were set on fire
Police have urged the public to avoid the area and have appealed for anyone with influence in the area to use it "to help restore calm".
Forty-one police officers were injured in disturbances in parts of Northern Ireland over the Easter period.Forty-one police officers were injured in disturbances in parts of Northern Ireland over the Easter period.
The photographer assaulted was Kevin Scott from the Belfast Telegraph. The Police Federation for Northern Ireland said Wednesday night's events were "shocking".
The violence could "set our society back years", the federation said in a tweet.
The attack on the press photographer, Kevin Scott from the Belfast Telegraph, took place on Cupar Way at 18:05 BST.
Speaking to BBC News NI, Mr Scott said he was "annoyed and shocked to have been targeted".Speaking to BBC News NI, Mr Scott said he was "annoyed and shocked to have been targeted".
"I cover everything as fairly and impartially as possible, working at both sides of the community covering both the positive and the not so positive," he said."I cover everything as fairly and impartially as possible, working at both sides of the community covering both the positive and the not so positive," he said.
"I won't be deterred from covering stories that are important and noteworthy. "I won't be deterred from covering stories that are important and note-worthy.
"I appreciate all the messages of support and offers of camera equipment that have been sent my way.""I appreciate all the messages of support and offers of camera equipment that have been sent my way."
Some damage was caused to the camera of Belfast Telegraph photo journalist Kevin ScottSome damage was caused to the camera of Belfast Telegraph photo journalist Kevin Scott
First Minister Arlene Foster described the attack on Mr Scott as "disgraceful", saying she trusted the "bullies" behind the attack would be brought to justice. First Minister Arlene Foster described the attack on Mr Scott as "disgraceful", saying she trusted the "bullies" behind it would be brought to justice.
"There is no justification for violence. It is wrong and it should stop," tweeted the first minister."There is no justification for violence. It is wrong and it should stop," tweeted the first minister.
Deputy First Minister Michelle O'Neill described the events as "disgraceful scenes of criminality".Deputy First Minister Michelle O'Neill described the events as "disgraceful scenes of criminality".
In a tweet, Ms O'Neill called for "unequivocal condemnation" and said the protests should be called off, adding: "Police need support, not politicking."In a tweet, Ms O'Neill called for "unequivocal condemnation" and said the protests should be called off, adding: "Police need support, not politicking."
A number of tyres were set on fire
NI Infrastructure Minister Nichola Mallon said the hijacking and attack on a bus was "sickening".
"Those responsible for this and ongoing attacks on the PSNI need to stop," she tweeted.
Public transport operator, Translink, said the driver of the bus was shaken but not injured.
All east Belfast services, including the Glider buses, have been suspended.
#MET #GLIDERBELFAST All East Belfast services including glider services are suspended until further notice; All Metro 1s, 11s 12s and 2 Metro services are suspended - until further notice ^JC
In total, 10 arrests have been made across Northern Ireland during disorder over the past week.
The police and political parties have repeatedly called for calm, with the Easter disturbances blamed on loyalist frustrations over a Public Prosecution Service decision not to prosecute people who attended the large-scale funeral of republican Bobby Storey in June 2020, as well as concerns about the NI Protocol in the Brexit deal.
The leaders of the DUP, UUP and TUV have called for Chief Constable Simon Byrne to resign over the PSNI's handling of the funeral, which was attended by a number of senior Sinn Féin politicians, including Deputy First Minister Michelle O'Neill.