This article is from the source 'bbc' and was first published or seen on . It will not be checked again for changes.
You can find the current article at its original source at http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/uk/8143552.stm
The article has changed 13 times. There is an RSS feed of changes available.
Version 3 | Version 4 |
---|---|
Stars 'may sue' over phone claims | Stars 'may sue' over phone claims |
(10 minutes later) | |
Public figures who believe they were victims of alleged phone hacking by investigators hired by the News of the World are considering suing the paper. | Public figures who believe they were victims of alleged phone hacking by investigators hired by the News of the World are considering suing the paper. |
One lawyer told the BBC he has had two enquiries and that more celebrities and politicians were seeking advice. | One lawyer told the BBC he has had two enquiries and that more celebrities and politicians were seeking advice. |
It follows claims in the Guardian that the tabloid paid £1m to settle legal cases which threatened to expose the use of illegal methods to get stories. | It follows claims in the Guardian that the tabloid paid £1m to settle legal cases which threatened to expose the use of illegal methods to get stories. |
Scotland Yard has said it will not investigate the fresh allegations. | Scotland Yard has said it will not investigate the fresh allegations. |
In its latest revelations, the Guardian names Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson and former England captain Alan Shearer among those whose messages were allegedly intercepted. | In its latest revelations, the Guardian names Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson and former England captain Alan Shearer among those whose messages were allegedly intercepted. |
Three inquiries have been launched by the director of public prosecutions, the Press Complaints Commission and a Commons select committee. | |
'Insufficient evidence' | 'Insufficient evidence' |
The Met has already conducted an investigation into phone hacking by journalists at the News of the World. | The Met has already conducted an investigation into phone hacking by journalists at the News of the World. |
It resulted in royal editor Clive Goodman and private investigator Glen Mulcaire being jailed for four and six months respectively in January 2007. | It resulted in royal editor Clive Goodman and private investigator Glen Mulcaire being jailed for four and six months respectively in January 2007. |
The scandal led to the resignation of then editor Andy Coulson, who is now the Conservatives' PR chief. | The scandal led to the resignation of then editor Andy Coulson, who is now the Conservatives' PR chief. |
On Thursday, Met Assistant Commissioner John Yates said Scotland Yard would not reopen its files on the case because no new evidence had come to light. | On Thursday, Met Assistant Commissioner John Yates said Scotland Yard would not reopen its files on the case because no new evidence had come to light. |
Vanessa Feltz: "I'm shocked, I'm bewildered at what seems to pass for journalism these days" | Vanessa Feltz: "I'm shocked, I'm bewildered at what seems to pass for journalism these days" |
He said Goodman and Mulcaire had undertaken a "sophisticated and wide-ranging conspiracy to gather private and personal data". | He said Goodman and Mulcaire had undertaken a "sophisticated and wide-ranging conspiracy to gather private and personal data". |
He added the inquiry had focused solely on phone hacking, and in the vast majority of cases, there was "insufficient evidence" that interception had happened. | He added the inquiry had focused solely on phone hacking, and in the vast majority of cases, there was "insufficient evidence" that interception had happened. |
Mark Stephens, of law firm Finers Stephens Innocent, said Mr Yates' statement seemed "not to address the possibility that there had been a criminal attempt or criminal conspiracy". | Mark Stephens, of law firm Finers Stephens Innocent, said Mr Yates' statement seemed "not to address the possibility that there had been a criminal attempt or criminal conspiracy". |
He said the director of public prosecutions, Keir Starmer QC, could force police to reopen the investigation or order the release of documents "sealed" by civil courts under case confidentially agreements. | He said the director of public prosecutions, Keir Starmer QC, could force police to reopen the investigation or order the release of documents "sealed" by civil courts under case confidentially agreements. |
This could shed light on whether other high-profile figures had been phone hacking victims, he added. | This could shed light on whether other high-profile figures had been phone hacking victims, he added. |
Seeking reassurance | Seeking reassurance |
Mr Starmer has said he wants to reassure himself and the public that "appropriate actions" were taken by the police three years ago. | Mr Starmer has said he wants to reassure himself and the public that "appropriate actions" were taken by the police three years ago. |
"Given the nature of the offences, the amount of material is, of course, extensive and complex, but it has all been located and a small team is now rapidly working through it," he said. | "Given the nature of the offences, the amount of material is, of course, extensive and complex, but it has all been located and a small team is now rapidly working through it," he said. |
The Commons culture, media and sport select committee has announced it will reopen an inquiry held after Goodman was jailed and may call Mr Coulson to give evidence. | The Commons culture, media and sport select committee has announced it will reopen an inquiry held after Goodman was jailed and may call Mr Coulson to give evidence. |
During the Goodman trial, it emerged Mulcaire had hacked into the phones of model Elle Macpherson, publicist Max Clifford, Simon Hughes MP and the Professional Footballers' Association's Gordon Taylor. | During the Goodman trial, it emerged Mulcaire had hacked into the phones of model Elle Macpherson, publicist Max Clifford, Simon Hughes MP and the Professional Footballers' Association's Gordon Taylor. |
But the Guardian claims they were among "two or three thousand" figures targeted. | But the Guardian claims they were among "two or three thousand" figures targeted. |
News International, the parent company of News Group, said it would be "inappropriate" to comment on the Guardian's allegations. | News International, the parent company of News Group, said it would be "inappropriate" to comment on the Guardian's allegations. |