This article is from the source 'bbc' and was first published or seen on . The next check for changes will be

You can find the current article at its original source at https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cd02x9zr78ro

The article has changed 4 times. There is an RSS feed of changes available.

Version 2 Version 3
Russia launches deadly drone attack on Odesa, governor says Russia launches deadly drone attack on Odesa - officials
(about 4 hours later)
The Odesa branch of Ukraine's state emergency department captured the scene following the attackThe Odesa branch of Ukraine's state emergency department captured the scene following the attack
Russian drones have killed at least two people and injured another five in a sustained attack on the Ukrainian city of Odesa, the governor of the region has said. Russian drones have killed at least two people and injured another five in a sustained attack on the Ukrainian city of Odesa, the regional leader has said.
Residential high-rise buildings, a supermarket and school were damaged, Oleh Kiper posted on Telegram. Residential high-rise buildings, a supermarket and school were damaged, Oleh Kiper posted on Telegram. Russia has not yet commented on the attack.
Elsewhere in Ukraine, the mayor of Kharkiv said a drone had struck a petrol station in the city centre, and explosions were also heard in the city of Sumy. Later on Thursday, a Russia-appointed official said seven people had been killed in a Ukrainian drone attack in an occupied town in the southern region of Kherson. Vladimir Saldo said a crowded market had been attacked in Oleshky.
Russia has not yet commented on the attacks. However, Ukrainian forces said they had targeted four Russian soldiers and that two had been killed.
Residential buildings were damaged in the attack, the governor saidResidential buildings were damaged in the attack, the governor said
"The enemy is attacking Odesa with strike drones. There is considerable damage to civilian infrastructure, particularly dwellings," Kiper posted, before later confirming the casualties. Odesa regional head Oleh Kiper said that Russian forces had targeted the city with strike drones, damaging homes and civilian infrastructure.
"Two people died and five others were injured as a result of the strike. Medics are providing all necessary assistance to the victims," he said."Two people died and five others were injured as a result of the strike. Medics are providing all necessary assistance to the victims," he said.
The city's Mayor Gennady Trukhanov said: "The enemy has launched another massive attack on the city. Residential buildings and civilian infrastructure have been damaged in various areas of Odessa." The city's Mayor Gennady Trukhanov said: "The enemy has launched another massive attack on the city. Residential buildings and civilian infrastructure have been damaged in various areas of Odesa."
Videos and images uploaded to social media, which the BBC has not yet verified, show explosions and damaged buildings.Videos and images uploaded to social media, which the BBC has not yet verified, show explosions and damaged buildings.
Odesa, a strategically important port city on the Black Sea, has a population of around a million people. It has come under repeated attack since Russia's full-scale invasion of Ukraine in February 2022.Odesa, a strategically important port city on the Black Sea, has a population of around a million people. It has come under repeated attack since Russia's full-scale invasion of Ukraine in February 2022.
Elsewhere in Ukraine, the mayor of Kharkiv said a drone had struck a petrol station in the city centre, and explosions were also heard in the city of Sumy.
The attack comes shortly after Ukraine signed a natural resources deal with the US, and precedes a temporary ceasefire starting 8 MayThe attack comes shortly after Ukraine signed a natural resources deal with the US, and precedes a temporary ceasefire starting 8 May
The latest attack comes as the US signed a deal with Ukraine on the joint exploitation of its energy and mineral resources. The latest attacks came as the US signed a deal with Ukraine on the joint exploitation of its energy and mineral resources.
The long-anticipated deal shows much more solidarity with Ukraine than is usual for US President Donald Trump's administration.The long-anticipated deal shows much more solidarity with Ukraine than is usual for US President Donald Trump's administration.
The two countries agreed to establish a reconstruction investment fund to spur Ukraine's economic recovery from its war with Russia.The two countries agreed to establish a reconstruction investment fund to spur Ukraine's economic recovery from its war with Russia.
Russian President Vladimir Putin this week announced a temporary ceasefire for the war in Ukraine.Russian President Vladimir Putin this week announced a temporary ceasefire for the war in Ukraine.
The Kremlin said the ceasefire would run from the morning of 8 May until 11 May - which coincides with victory celebrations to mark the end of World War Two.The Kremlin said the ceasefire would run from the morning of 8 May until 11 May - which coincides with victory celebrations to mark the end of World War Two.
In response, Ukraine's Foreign Minister Andrii Sybiha called for an immediate ceasefire lasting "at least 30 days".In response, Ukraine's Foreign Minister Andrii Sybiha called for an immediate ceasefire lasting "at least 30 days".
Get our flagship newsletter with all the headlines you need to start the day. Sign up here.Get our flagship newsletter with all the headlines you need to start the day. Sign up here.