This article is from the source 'bbc' and was first published or seen on . It will not be checked again for changes.

You can find the current article at its original source at http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/middle_east/8521475.stm

The article has changed 7 times. There is an RSS feed of changes available.

Version 2 Version 3
Deadly explosion hits Iraqi city Deadly explosion hits Iraqi city
(30 minutes later)
At least 10 people have been killed and 15 hurt in a bomb attack in the Iraqi city of Ramadi, officials say.At least 10 people have been killed and 15 hurt in a bomb attack in the Iraqi city of Ramadi, officials say.
The explosion in the capital of Iraq's western Anbar province occurred at a checkpoint near government offices, police said.The explosion in the capital of Iraq's western Anbar province occurred at a checkpoint near government offices, police said.
Hospital officials told AFP news agency that four policemen and a young girl were among those killed.Hospital officials told AFP news agency that four policemen and a young girl were among those killed.
Violence has been rising as Iraq prepares for a March general election, with Ramadi targeted more than once.Violence has been rising as Iraq prepares for a March general election, with Ramadi targeted more than once.
In late December, twin suicide blasts in the city killed 25 people and severely injured regional governor Qassim Mohammed.In late December, twin suicide blasts in the city killed 25 people and severely injured regional governor Qassim Mohammed.
Three co-ordinated explosions last October left at least 22 people dead and many more injured.Three co-ordinated explosions last October left at least 22 people dead and many more injured.
They are trying to undermine the political process and prevent us from taking part in the election Mohammed DulaimiRamadi restaurant owner
A doctor at Ramadi general hospital told AFP that 10 bodies had been taken in so far following Thursday's bombing.A doctor at Ramadi general hospital told AFP that 10 bodies had been taken in so far following Thursday's bombing.
But some confusion remained over the number of casualties, with an interior ministry official telling Reuters news agency six people had been killed and 10 injured.But some confusion remained over the number of casualties, with an interior ministry official telling Reuters news agency six people had been killed and 10 injured.
The owner of a restaurant badly damaged by the explosion told AFP the attackers wanted to deter people from voting on 7 March.
"They are trying to undermine the political process and prevent us from taking part in the election," Mohammed Dulaimi said.
Sectarian fears
Campaigning for the election began last week, amid a continuing row over a ban on scores of candidates that could increase tension between Shia and Sunni Iraqis.
Until 2007, the Sunni insurgency was strong in Anbar province.Until 2007, the Sunni insurgency was strong in Anbar province.
Local Sunni tribes and their followers then turned against the militants and began co-operating with the Iraqi government and US forces.Local Sunni tribes and their followers then turned against the militants and began co-operating with the Iraqi government and US forces.
But after a period of relative calm, the province is again suffering from mounting violence.But after a period of relative calm, the province is again suffering from mounting violence.
The US - which still has 100,000 troops in Iraq - fears that if the election lacks credibility among Sunni voters, the country could slide back into sectarian violence.
The US is preparing to withdraw large numbers of troops by the middle of this year.