This article is from the source 'guardian' and was first published or seen on . The next check for changes will be

You can find the current article at its original source at https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2025/aug/26/police-attending-active-incident-at-rural-property-in-victoria-and-ask-people-to-avoid-the-area

The article has changed 14 times. There is an RSS feed of changes available.

Version 0 Version 1
Police attending ‘active incident’ at rural property in Victoria and ask people to ‘avoid the area’ Police attending ‘active incident’ at rural property in Victoria, Porepunkah primary school in lockdown
(30 minutes later)
Police statement comes after media reports an officer has been shot and two are missing at a Porepunkah property 300km north-east of Melbourne Police urge people to ‘avoid the area’ after media reports of officer injured in shooting and two missing at Porepunkah, 300km north-east of Melbourne
Police have confirmed they are attending an “active incident” at a rural property in Victoria, after media reports an officer had been injured in a shooting.Police have confirmed they are attending an “active incident” at a rural property in Victoria, after media reports an officer had been injured in a shooting.
Officers attended a property at Porepunkah, in the state’s Alpine region, about 300km north-east of Melbourne on Tuesday morning to serve a warrant, The Age reported.Officers attended a property at Porepunkah, in the state’s Alpine region, about 300km north-east of Melbourne on Tuesday morning to serve a warrant, The Age reported.
One officer was shot in the thigh and two were unaccounted for, the report said.One officer was shot in the thigh and two were unaccounted for, the report said.
In a statement, Victoria police would not confirm those details but did say that officers were at a property in Porepunkah.In a statement, Victoria police would not confirm those details but did say that officers were at a property in Porepunkah.
“This is still an active incident and we will provide more information when it’s operationally safe to do so.“This is still an active incident and we will provide more information when it’s operationally safe to do so.
“We ask people avoid the area,” the statement said.“We ask people avoid the area,” the statement said.
A spokesperson for Porepunkah primary school confirmed the school was in lockdown.
Earlier, the school’s principal, Jill Gillies, told the ABC they were advised to not let the students out at 11.30am.
“We were told there was an incident near the school,” she said.
More details soon …More details soon …