This article is from the source 'guardian' and was first published or seen on . The next check for changes will be

You can find the current article at its original source at https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2025/aug/26/police-attending-active-incident-at-rural-property-in-victoria-and-ask-people-to-avoid-the-area

The article has changed 14 times. There is an RSS feed of changes available.

Version 7 Version 8
Porepunkah shooting: manhunt under way after two Victoria police officers killed, one injured at rural property Porepunkah shooting: police hunt ‘dangerous’ suspect who fled into bush after allegedly killing two officers ‘in cold blood’
(about 1 hour later)
Police believe offender has left the property at Porepunkah, 300km north-east of Melbourne, with public urged not to travel to the area Victoria police believe alleged offender is heavily armed and urge local residents to stay indoors
Victoria police shooting live updatesVictoria police shooting live updates
What we know so far about the shooting in rural AustraliaWhat we know so far about the shooting in rural Australia
A manhunt is under way after two Victorian police officers were killed and another wounded at a shooting at a rural property in the High Country town of Porepunkah. A manhunt is under way after two Victorian police officers were “murdered in cold blood” and another wounded in a shooting at a rural property in the high country town of Porepunkah.
In a statement late on Tuesday afternoon, Victoria police confirmed two on-duty officers had been shot and killed and a third seriously injured during the incident on Tuesday morning, with the alleged offender still on the run. The Victorian police commissioner, Mike Bush, said the suspect believed to be “heavily armed” was still at large. Bush urged the wider community to stay indoors and said a “full deployment” was under way on Tuesday evening to find the suspect, who he described as “obviously a very dangerous person”.
The officers were among 10 officers who attended a property on Rayner Track, shortly after 10.30am today, to execute a search warrant. A 59-year-old detective and 35-year-old senior constable were “met by the offender” and “murdered in cold blood” on Tuesday morning, Bush told reporters on Tuesday evening.
“I can confirm, tragically, that two of our fine Victoria police officers today lost their lives in the line of duty,” chief commissioner Mike Bush said in a video accompanying the statement. The officers were among 10 officers who attended a property on Rayner Track, shortly after 10.30am, to execute a search warrant, according to a Victoria police statement released earlier. A third officer was in a serious but stable condition, The Alfred hospital confirmed.
“They were fired upon. The two deceased officers are still at the scene. A third officer was seriously injured and is currently in surgery in hospital.” Bush said the incident occurred over “minutes”, but the seven uninjured officers remained at the property for hours while police locked down the area.
Police said no other officers were injured but they remain at the property. The injured officer is in a serious but stable condition.
“The exact circumstances surrounding the incident are still being determined and it remains an active and ongoing situation,” they said.
Sign up: AU Breaking News emailSign up: AU Breaking News email
Victoria police said it was believed the alleged offender had since left the property in the state’s Alpine region and his whereabouts remained unknown. The “heavily armed” suspect, who was known to police, was able to escape into the bush on his own, Bush said.
Bush said all specialist resources had been deployed into the area to find the alleged offender and arrest them. This includes detectives from the homicide, armed crime and fugitive squads, as well as the special operations group and critical incident response team. He said police were searching for his partner and two children, and it was unclear whether they were with him. The suspect’s whereabouts is unknown.
“I want to further assure the rural community around Bright that we will do everything to bring this person into custody so that your community is safe. Can I please ask you just to stay at home, not go out and about at the moment, until this operation is concluded,” he said. Police were examining whether the suspect took any additional weapons.
The mayor of Alpine shire, Sarah Nicholas, offered her heartfelt condolences to the friends, family and colleagues of the two police officers “tragically killed”. Bush said all specialist resources had been deployed into the area to find the alleged offender and arrest him. This includes detectives from the homicide, armed crime and fugitive squads, as well as the special operations group and critical incident response team.
“Today has been a day of deep sorrow and shock for our community,” she said in a video statement, during which she appeared visibly emotional. “I want to further assure the rural community around Bright that we will do everything to bring this person into custody so that your community is safe. Can I please ask you just to stay at home, not go out and about at the moment, until this operation is concluded,” Bush said.
“We hold our police in the highest regard. They serve with courage, compassion, and dedication, and their loss is felt profoundly across our region. We are deeply grateful for their service and commitment.”
She said all council facilities across the shire, which also takes in Bright, Dinner Plain, Mount Beauty and Myrtleford, would be closed until further notice and a meeting planned for Tuesday night had been cancelled.
The federal MP for Indi, Helen Haines, said it was “utterly heartbreaking” that two police officers serving the community would not make it home at the end of their shift.
“This appalling event has shaken not only Porepunkah, but communities right across the north east, and indeed the nation. While we may be geographically spread, we are close-knit, and in moments like this we feel the loss together,” Haines said.
Ovens Valley MP Tim McCurdy, whose state electorate takes in Porepunkah, described the deaths as “heartbreaking”, “tragic” and “senseless”. He said his heart was also with the community as the manhunt continues to find the offender.
“It’s still pretty scary out there for them,” McCurdy said. “We need it to end tonight before it gets dark, hopefully and get to a conclusion, and then we can start to unravel what’s happened.”
The secretary of Victoria’s Police Association, Wayne Gatt, said members were “devastated” by the “senseless” deaths of “our mates, colleagues and dearly loved family members”. Gatt said the loss of officers was “difficult to comprehend” and the association was assisting all members involved and their families.
Earlier, the prime minister, Anthony Albanese, said his thoughts were with the police. Both the premier, Jacinta Allan, and opposition leader, Brad Battin, used question time to acknowledge the state’s police and emergency services.
After police confirmed the deaths, Battin, a former officer, said he was “shocked and saddened” by the news.
“Police officers know their job is dangerous – but they do it anyway to protect us. To the families who are mourning today, know that every Australian is with you,” Battin said in a joint statement with opposition police spokesperson, David Southwick.
“Our thoughts are also with all Victorian police officers who will be feeling this loss deeply. We know your work is hard. The dangers you face are real. And your sacrifices are often unrecognised. Today we acknowledge your courage.”
Earlier in the day, a local caravan park and the Porepunkah primary school went into lockdown as police searched for the offender. By Tuesday afternoon, the school’s principal, Jill Gillies, confirmed almost all the students had returned home.Earlier in the day, a local caravan park and the Porepunkah primary school went into lockdown as police searched for the offender. By Tuesday afternoon, the school’s principal, Jill Gillies, confirmed almost all the students had returned home.
“It’s been quite an ordeal,” she told ABC Melbourne.“It’s been quite an ordeal,” she told ABC Melbourne.
Local businesses have closed, with the Porepunkah Pub offering to prepare meals for police officers on the scene, and the airstrip providing fuel for the air wing. At a press conference on Tuesday night, the Victorian premier, Jacinta Allan, said the killing of two police officers in Porepunkah was “shocking and just so utterly heartbreaking”.
“Two Victoria police officers have lost their lives in the service of our state, another has been seriously injured, and their families are facing the kind of grief that no family should ever have to experience,” she said.
“Policing comes with danger, and every day, our police officers meet that danger with enormous courage and dedication. This tragedy is a painful reminder of that bravery.”
She said her thoughts were also with the Porepunkah community, who she said were “carrying the weight of this horrific day”.
“They will not carry that weight alone,” Allan said .
The opposition leader, Brad Battin, a former police officer, earlier said he was “shocked and saddened” by the news.
“Police officers know their job is dangerous – but they do it anyway to protect us. To the families who are mourning today, know that every Australian is with you,” Battin said in a joint statement with the opposition police spokesperson, David Southwick.
“Our thoughts are also with all Victorian police officers who will be feeling this loss deeply. We know your work is hard. The dangers you face are real. And your sacrifices are often unrecognised. Today, we acknowledge your courage.”
The mayor of Alpine shire, Sarah Nicholas, offered her heartfelt condolences to the friends, family and colleagues of the two police officers “tragically killed”.
“Today has been a day of deep sorrow and shock for our community,” she said in a video statement, during which she appeared emotional.
“We hold our police in the highest regard. They serve with courage, compassion and dedication, and their loss is felt profoundly across our region. We are deeply grateful for their service and commitment.”
Nicholas said all council facilities across the shire, which also takes in Bright, Dinner Plain, Mount Beauty and Myrtleford, would be closed until further notice, and a meeting planned for Tuesday night had been cancelled.
The federal MP for Indi, Helen Haines, said it was “utterly heartbreaking” that two police officers serving the community would not make it home at the end of their shift.
“This appalling event has shaken not only Porepunkah, but communities right across the north east, and indeed the nation. While we may be geographically spread, we are close-knit, and in moments like this, we feel the loss together,” Haines said.
The Ovens Valley MP, Tim McCurdy, whose state electorate takes in Porepunkah, described the deaths as “heartbreaking”, “tragic” and “senseless”. He said his heart was also with the community as the manhunt continues to find the offender.
The secretary of Victoria’s Police Association, Wayne Gatt, said members were “devastated” by the “senseless” deaths of “our mates, colleagues and dearly loved family members”. Gatt said the loss of officers was “difficult to comprehend”, and the association was assisting all members involved and their families.