This article is from the source 'bbc' and was first published or seen
It will not be checked again for changes.
You can find the current article at its original source at http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/scotland/tayside_and_central/6904521.stm
The article has changed 5 times. There is an available.
|Four treated over abattoir leak |
(about 1 hour later)
An abattoir in Angus has been evacuated after four people, including a paramedic, suffered breathing difficulties caused by gas inhalation.
Emergency services were called to Brechin Abattoir in Montrose Road just before 1000 BST on Wednesday.
|One worker, a 56-year-old man from Brechin, is in a serious condition at Ninewells Hospital in Dundee with severe damage to his lungs.||One worker, a 56-year-old man from Brechin, is in a serious condition at Ninewells Hospital in Dundee with severe damage to his lungs.|
Two other men are being treated for irritation to their lungs.
|The men, aged 53 and 34, one from Perth and the other from Brechin, are being treated in Ninewells Hospital's short-stay ward.||The men, aged 53 and 34, one from Perth and the other from Brechin, are being treated in Ninewells Hospital's short-stay ward.|
|Hydrogen sulphide||Hydrogen sulphide|
A female paramedic, who treated one of the men at the scene, has also been detained in hospital with irritation to her lungs.
Tayside Police said it is believed that their symptoms may have been caused by some form of gas inhalation, possibly hydrogen sulphide.
The abattoir was evacuated as a precautionary measure.
Tayside Fire and Rescue Service, together with the Public Health Analyst, are currently investigating the circumstances.
The Health and Safety Executive has also been informed.